Ballet Hoo graduates will be leading this summer intensive as part of our 10th Year Anniversary for the work of Leaps & Bounds, which grew out of a partnership between Birmingham Royal Ballet and Leaps & Bounds. Linden, Wez and Shireenah, who will be leading this project, were in the original production of Romeo & Juliet on the Birmingham Hippodrome stage in 2006.
They will be shaping the summer intensive to create a performance and co-lead personal development sessions to enable a new cohort of 16 – 24 year olds to step up and take their place on the stage. Professional artists Dave McKenna (dancer and choreographer), Andrew Kristy (composer) and Bollywood specialist Aruna Kailey will mentor and assist the Ballet Hoo graduate team. Martin Hogg (Citizen Coaching) will lead the personal development sessions with Ballet Hoo graduates to ensure that everyone has the confidence and skills to speak in public, to learn about themselves and to resolve conflicts they might encounter in their lives.
We will use the Shakespeare story of Romeo and Juliet as a starting point and reinterpret this through the lens of young people’s lives today!
We will work with text, dance and music to co-create with the young people a short performance work that will be performed at the end of the Intensive week based in the studios of the Birmingham Royal Ballet.
The story will start when Romeo & Juliet meet, they will reveal the feud between their families and then they will reveal how they overcame these obstacles to create and find love.
Using different dance styles of Bhangra, Bollywood, contemporary and street dance to reflect the diverse communities of Ladywood and Hodge Hill we want you to help make this story relevant to young people’s lives today.
What we ask from all the participants:
- Join in for the 3 taster sessions on August 3rd, 10th & 17th in Saltley or Holyhead Academy
- Attend the full intensive week August 21st – 26th in Birmingham Royal Ballet studios
- Commit to participate 100% of the time in the sessions identified
- Participate in the personal development sessions to co-create a resource to help young people overcome obstacles and conflict in their daily lives
Recruitment to this project will need:
- Signed media consent form (signed by parent if 16 – 18 years)
- Signed Participant Framework of Agreement form (co-designed with participants)
- Signed Contact information form giving personal contact details which will be kept confidential and used only by Leaps & Bounds Management to run the project
- TIMETABLE AND LOCATIONS FOR SUMMER INTENSIVE:
3 TASTER SESSIONS will take place on Wednesday 3rd, 10th, 17th August at:Holyhead Academy: 11am – 1pmHolyhead Rd,B21 0HN
- Saltley Wellbeing Centre 3pm – 6pm 120 Broadway Avenue Bordesley Green Birmingham B9 5YD
- Summer Intensive week: Sunday August 21st – Friday August 26th Birmingham Royal Ballet studios: Birmingham, Thorp Street, B5 4 AU @ 9.30am – 5pm